The hosts review the latest album from indie artist Mitski, Laurel Hell.
Songs About Getting Away
Jim, Greg and the production staff share their picks for their favorite songs about getting away on vacation!
- The Ventures, "Hawaii Five-O"
- Pink Floyd, "Point Me at the Sky"
- Big Star, "The India Song"
- Kraftwerk, "Europe Endless"
- A Tribe Called Quest, "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo"
- The B-52’s, "Roam"
- The Beginning of the End, "Funky Nassau"
- Joni Mitchell, "Free Man in Paris"
- Ronnie Spector and the E-Street Band, "Say Goodbye to Hollywood"
- Bronski Beat, "Small Town Boy"
- Rihanna, "Desperado"
- Eleanor Friedberger, "It’s Hard"
- Andrew, Guided By Voices, "Motor Away"
- Alex, Amyl and the Sniffers, "Hertz"
- Mary, Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers, "I Love Hot Nights"
- Sol, Summer Salt, "Driving to Hawaii"
- The Go-Go's, "Vacation," Vacation, I.R.S., 1982
- Mitski, "Working For the Knife," Laurel Hell, Dead Oceans, 2022
- Mitski, "The Only Heartbreaker," Laurel Hell, Dead Oceans, 2022
- Mitski, "Stay Soft," Laurel Hell, Dead Oceans, 2022
- Weezer, "Island in the Sun," Weezer (Green Album), Geffen, 2001
- The Ventures, "Hawaii Five-O," Hawaii Five-O, Liberty, 1969
- The Beginning of the End, "Funky Nassau Pt. 1," Funky Nassau, Alston, 1971
- Guided By Voices, "Motor Away," Alien Lanes, Matador, 1995
- Amyl and the Sniffers, "Hertz," Comfort to Me, B2B, 2021
- Willie Nelson, "On the Road Again," Honeysuckle Rose, Columbia, 1980
- Pink Floyd, "Point Me at the Sky," Point Me at the Sky (Single), EMI, 1968
- Joni Mitchell, "Free Man in Paris," Court and Spark, Asylum, 1974
- Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers, "I Love Hot Nights," Modern Lovers 88, Rounder, 1988
- Big Star, "The India Song," #1 Record, Ardent, 1972
- Ronnie Spector & The E Street Band, "Say Goodbye To Hollywood," Say Goodbye To Hollywood (Single), Epic, 1977
- Summer Salt, "Driving to Hawaii," Driving to Hawaii, Cherry Lime, 2014
- Kraftwerk, "Europe Endless," Trans-Europe Express, Capitol, 1977
- Bronski Beat, "Small Town Boy," The Age of Consent, London, 1984
- A Tribe Called Quest, "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo," People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm, Jive, 1990
- Rihanna, "Desperado," Anti, Westbury Road, 2016
- The B-52's, "Roam," Cosmic Thing, Reprise, 1989
- Eleanor Friedberger, "It's Hard," Rebound, French Kiss, 2018
- Kiss, "Strutter," Kiss, Casablanca, 1974
For more than 15 years, Sound Opinions was a production of WBEZ, Chicago's public radio station. Now that the show is independent, we're inviting you to join the band and lend a hand! We need your support more than ever because now we have to do all the behind-the-scenes work that WBEZ handled before (like buying insurance and paying for podcast hosting, ugh). Plus, we have some exciting ideas we'd like to try now that there's no one to tell us no!