End of the World Songs
The idea for this episode came early in the pandemic, but it wasn't until the recent return to relative normalcy that hosts Jim and Greg felt comfortable sharing their favorite songs about the end of the world. The topic has been fertile ground for great songs over the past seventy years. Their picks run the gamut from Sharon Van Etten to Method Man.
- Sharon Van Etten, "The End of the World"
- David Bowie, "Five Years"
- Randy Newman, "Political Science"
- Fishbone, "Party at Ground Zero"
- Method Man, "Judgement Day" (sic)
- R.E.M., "It’s the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)"
- Barry McGuire, "Eve of Destruction"
- Nico, "The End"
- Madonna, "4 Minutes (feat. Justin Timberlake & Timbaland"
- Johnny Cash, "The Man Comes Around"
- Sol: Matt Maltese, "As the World Caves In"
- Andrew: The Postal Service, "We Will Become Silhouettes"
- Alex: Phoebe Bridgers, "I Know the End"
- Lauren: The Verve, "Bittersweet Symphony"
Recent calls from listeners are played.
- The Doors, "The End," The Doors, Elektra, 1967
- The Beatles, "I Get By (With a Little Help From My Friends)," Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Parlophone, 1967
- Sharon Van Etten, "The End of the World," Resistance Radio: The Man in the High Castle Album, Columbia, 2017
- R.E.M., "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)," Document, I.R.S., 1987
- David Bowie, "Five Years," The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, RCA, 1972
- Barry McGuire, "Eve of Destruction," Eve of Destruction, Geffen, 1965
- Matt Maltese, "As the World Caves In," Bad Contestant, Atlantic UK, 2018
- Postal Service, "We Will Become Silhouettes," Give Up, Sub Pop, 2005
- Randy Newman, "Political Science," Sail Away, Rhino/Warner, 1972
- Nico, "The End," The End..., Island, 1974
- Phoebe Bridgers, "I Know the End," Punisher, Dead Oceans, 2020
- The Verve, "Bitter Sweet Symphony," Urban Hymns, Hut, 1997
- Fishbone, "Party At Ground Zero," Fishbone, Columbia, 1985
- Madonna, "4 Minutes (feat. Justin Timberlake & Timbaland)," Hard Candy, Warner Bros., 2008
- Method Man, "Judgement Day," Tical 2000: Judgement Day, Def Jam, 1998
- Johnny Cash, "The Man Comes Around," American IV: The Man Comes Around, American Recordings, Universal, 2002
- Xixa, "May They Call Us Home," Genesis, Julian, 2020
- Reckling, "Spitter," Reckling, Reckling, 2018
- Cam Cool, "Everyone Texts and Drives," Everyone Texts and Drives (Single), Cam Cool, 2023
- Syl Johnson, "Concrete Reservation," Is It Because I'm Black (Deluxe 50th Anniversary Edition), Numero, 2019
For more than 15 years, Sound Opinions was a production of WBEZ, Chicago's public radio station. Now that the show is independent, we're inviting you to join the band and lend a hand! We need your support more than ever because now we have to do all the behind-the-scenes work that WBEZ handled before (like buying insurance and paying for podcast hosting, ugh). Plus, we have some exciting ideas we'd like to try now that there's no one to tell us no!
Please consider becoming a Sound Opinions member by giving whatever you can via Patreon or with a one-time donation through PayPal. Thanks for listening, and thanks for your support!