Big Freedia is known as “The Queen of Bounce” and has done more than arguably anyone else to spread that New Orleans style of dance music around the world. Their new album, “Central City” is only their second full length studio album, though they are constantly releasing new music. Hosts Jim and Greg both love the new effort and say it’s a welcome addition to their late summer listening.
Songs About Work
Too often, Labor Day only signifies the end of summer to people. Jim and Greg are remembering the reason for the season by sharing their favorite songs about work. From Margo Price to The Flaming Lips, their picks run the gamut.
- Margo Price, "Pay Gap"
- The Animals, "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place"
- Van Morrison, "Cleaning Windows"
- Bob Marley, "Night Shift"
- The Jam, "Smithers-Jones"
- Dolly Parton, "9 To 5"
- John Lennon, "Working Class Hero"
- Rhymefest, "Good A** Job"
- The Clash, "Career Opportunities"
- Lou Reed, "Don’t Talk To Me About Work"
Greg: Lou Reed, "Perfect Day"
Greg notes that with Al Green’s recent cover of “Perfect Day” by Lou Reed, it’s high time to acknowledge that the song has been having a cultural moment for a few years now. He adds Reed’s original version of the song to the “Desert Island Jukebox” of songs he can’t live without.
- Donna Summer, "She Works Hard For the Money," She Works Hard for the Money, Mercury, 1983
- The Beatles, "With A Little Help From My Friends," Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Parlophone, 1967
- Big Freedia, "Gin In My System," Central City, Queen Diva, 2023
- Big Freedia, "Booty Like A Drummer," Central City, Queen Diva, 2023
- Big Freedia, "Life Lessons," Central City, Queen Diva, 2023
- Big Freedia, "Pepto Interlude," Central City, Queen Diva, 2023
- Mitski, "Working for the Knife," Laurel Hell, Dead Oceans, 2022
- Margo Price, "Pay Gap," All American Made, Third Man, 2017
- Dolly Parton, "9 To 5," 9 to 5 and Odd Jobs, RCA Victor, 1980
- The Animals, "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place," Animal Tracks, MGM, 1965
- John Lennon, "Working Class Hero," John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, Apple, 1970
- Van Morrison, "Cleaning Windows," Beautiful Vision, Mercury, 1982
- Rhymefest, "Good Ass Job," Rhymefest Presents Raw Dawg, Self Released, 2001
- Sam Cooke, "Chain Gang," Swing Low, RCA Victor, 1961
- R.E.M., "Finest Worksong," Document, I.R.S., 1987
- The Clash, "Career Opportunities," The Clash, CBS, 1977
- Bob Marley & The Wailers, "Night Shift," Rastaman Vibration, Island, 1976
- Lou Reed, "Don't Talk To Me About Work," Legendary Hearts, RCA , 1983
- The Jam, "Smithers Jones," When We're Young (Single), Polydor, 1979
- Flaming Lips, "Bad Days," Clouds Taste Metallic, Warner Bros, 1995
- Al Green, "Perfect Day," Perfect Day (Single), Fat Possum, 2023
- Lou Reed , "Perfect Day," Transformer, RCA, 1972
For more than 15 years, Sound Opinions was a production of WBEZ, Chicago's public radio station. Now that the show is independent, we're inviting you to join the band and lend a hand! We need your support more than ever because now we have to do all the behind-the-scenes work that WBEZ handled before (like buying insurance and paying for podcast hosting, ugh). Plus, we have some exciting ideas we'd like to try now that there's no one to tell us no!