Ratboys are a Chicago group who have taken a big step up with their new album “The Window” thanks to production from former Death Cab For Cutie member Chris Walla.
Noname gained acclaim as a contemporary of Chance The Rapper, but in recent years she has viewed the music industry with suspicion. “Sundial” is her third album and before it was even released a guest verse on it was stirring up controversy. Hosts Jim and Greg have a nuanced discussion about the album.
Songs About Morning
As the new school year is underway, many of us are struggling to adapt to new morning routines. Hosts Jim and Greg hope songs about the morning can help.
- Kris Kristofferson, “Sunday Morning Coming Down”
- Nina Simone, “Feeling Good”
- Bill Withers, “Lovely Day”
- The The, “This Is the Day”
- Outkast feat. Goodie Mobb, “Git Up, Git Out”
- Stevie Wonder, "Happier Than the Morning Sun"
- The Polyphonic Spree, “Light and Day/Reach for the Sun”
- Joni Mitchell, "Chelsea Morning"
- Beck, “Morning”
- Juice Newton, “Angel of the Morning”
- Sol: Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s, "Waking Up and Walking Out"
- Andrew: Harry Nilsson, "Gotta Get Up"
- Alex: Kurt Vile, "Wakin On a Pretty Day"
- The Beatles, "Good Morning," Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Parlophone, 1967
- The Beatles, "With A Little Help From My Friends," Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Parlophone, 1967
- Noname, "gospel? (feat. $ilkMoney, billy woods & STOUT)," Sundial, self-released, 2023
- Ratboys, "The Window," The Window, Topshelf, 2023
- Ratboys, "Making Noise for the Ones You Love," The Window, Topshelf, 2023
- Ratboys, "Empty," The Window, Topshelf, 2023
- Ratboys, "Black Earth, WI," The Window, Topshelf, 2023
- Noname, "black mirror," Sundial, self-released, 2023
- Noname, "namesake," Sundial, self-released, 2023
- Noname, "potentially the interlude," Sundial, self-released, 2023
- Kris Kristofferson, "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down," Kristofferson, Monument, 1970
- Stevie Wonder, "Happier Than The Morning Sun," Music of My Mind, Tamla, 1972
- Nina Simone, "Feeling Good," I Put A Spell On You, Phillips, 1965
- The Polyphonic Spree, "Light & Day/Reach for the Sun," The Beginning Stages of..., Good, 2002
- Margot and the Nuclear So-And-So's, "Waking Up and Walking Out," The Bride On The Boxcar - A Decade Of Margot Rarities: 2004-2014, Joyful Noise, 2015
- Harry Nilsson, "Gotta Get Up," Nilsson Schmilsson, RCA Victor, 1971
- Kurt Vile, "Wakin On a Pretty Day," Wakin On a Pretty Daze, Matador, 2013
- Bill Withers, "Lovely Day," Menagerie, Columbia, 1977
- Joni Mitchell, "Chelsea Morning," Clouds, A&M, 1969
- The The, "This Is the Day," Soul Mining, Some Bizarre/Epic, 1983
- Beck, "Morning," Morning Phase, Captiol, 2014
- Outkast, "Git Up, Git Out (feat. Goodie Mob)," Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, Arista, LaFace, 1994
- Juice Newton, "Angel of the Morning," Juice, Captiol, 1981
- Echo & the Bunnymen, "The Killing Moon," Ocean Rain, Sire, 1984
For more than 15 years, Sound Opinions was a production of WBEZ, Chicago's public radio station. Now that the show is independent, we're inviting you to join the band and lend a hand! We need your support more than ever because now we have to do all the behind-the-scenes work that WBEZ handled before (like buying insurance and paying for podcast hosting, ugh). Plus, we have some exciting ideas we'd like to try now that there's no one to tell us no!