Senior Pitchfork editor and music critic Jessica Hopper joins Jim and Greg in the studio for a discussion of her new book The First Collection of Criticism By a Living Female Rock Critic. This career-spanning anthology includes Hopper's controversial pieces on pop icons Lana Del Rey and Miley Cyrus, her famous Village Voice article on the R. Kelly controversy that emerged after an interview with Jim himself, and other notable reviews by the accomplished critic. Hopper discusses her start as a fifteen year-old fanzine writer, the challenge of separating the art from the artist, and the significance of the female voice in music criticism.
Summer Songs (Part 2)
Back in 2006, Greg and Jim put out a playlist of their favorite summer songs. Now they give you the long-awaited part 2 of their hot summer mixtape.
- Yo La Tengo, "Little Honda"
- Best Coast, "Summer Mood"
- The Hold Steady, "Constructive Summer"
- Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick, "The Show"
- Cool Kids, "Swimsuits"
- Chicago, "Saturday in the Park"
- Martha & the Vandellas, "(Love is Like a) Heat Wave"
- Violent Femmes, "Blister in the Sun"
- Babes in Toyland, "Sweet '69," Nemesisters, Reprise, 1995
- Bikini Kill, "Rebel Girl," Pussy Whipped, Kill Rock Stars, 1993
- Lana Del Rey, "Radio," Born to Die, Interscope, 2012
- Miley Cyrus, "Adore You," Bangerz, RCA, 2013
- DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, "Summertime," Summertime (Single), Jive, 1991
- Yo La Tengo, "Little Honda," I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One, Matador Records, 1997
- Seals and Crofts, "Summer Breeze," Summer Breeze, Warner Bros., 1972
- Annette Funicello, "Beach Party," Annette's Beach Party, Disney, 1963
- The Cool Kids, "Swimsuits," When Fish Ride Bicycles, Green Label Sound Records, 2011
- Best Coast, "Summer Mood," Crazy For You, Mexican Summer, 2010
- Chicago, "Saturday in the Park," Chicago V, Columbia, 1972
- The Hold Steady, "Constructive Summer," Stay Positive, Vagrant / Rough Trade, 2008
- Martha & the Vandellas, "(Love is Like a) Heat Wave," Heat Wave, Gordy, 1963
- Robin Ward, "Wonderful Summer," Wonderful Summer (Single), Dot Records, 1963
- Len, "Steal My Sunshine," You Can't Stop the Bum Rush, Work, 1999
- Doug E. Fresh & The Get Fresh Crew, "The Show," The Show (Single), Reality, 1985
- The Violent Femmes, "Blister in the Sun," Violent Femmes, Slash, 1983
- Jamie XX, "Far Nearer," Far Nearer / Beat For EP, Numbers, 2011
- ABBA, "Ring Ring," Ring Ring, Polar, 1973
- Hop Along, "The Knock," Painted Shut, Saddle Creek, 2015
- Black Mountain, "Don't Run Our Hearts Around," Black Mountain, Jagjaguwar, 2005
- Angel Olsen, "Forgiven / Forgotten," Burn Your Fire for No Witness, Jagjaguwar, 2014
- Meat Loaf, "Bat Out of Hell," Bat Out of Hell, Cleveland International / Epic Records, 1977
For more than 15 years, Sound Opinions was a production of WBEZ, Chicago's public radio station. Now that the show is independent, we're inviting you to join the band and lend a hand! We need your support more than ever because now we have to do all the behind-the-scenes work that WBEZ handled before (like buying insurance and paying for podcast hosting, ugh). Plus, we have some exciting ideas we'd like to try now that there's no one to tell us no!